05 Apr You are Going to Do Great Things… I Already Know
Posted at 14:29h in Uncategorized
The older my daughter gets, the more conversations we are having about life and stuff that really matters. I have so much to tell her and it feels like time is racing ahead of me. These are the things I want my daughter to know NOW, before she starts making choices that will greatly affect her life long-term.
- Get an education. Do not settle. Go all the way. No one can ever take the gift of an education away from you. It is your key to opening many doors in life.
- Read as many books as you can get your hands on. A well-read person is far more interesting and a much better communicator.
- Exercise, preferably outdoors so you can also get some fresh air. You need to get your blood flowing to your brain every day for optimal performance, both mentally and emotionally.
- Develop close friendships. Focus on quality of friendships, not quantity. You will need true friends to do life with. If a friend is not emotionally available to both celebrate your victories and cry during your disappointments, find a new friend.
- Find a spouse who is supportive. No one in your life will ever make you happier or more miserable. Choose who you date both cautiously and wisely. Remember, you will never marry anyone whom you did not first date.
- Develop relationships with mentors. Be humble and ask for advice. Seek out Godly people who are a few stages ahead of you in life that you both admire and respect. The majority of people will be very flattered if you ask them for their opinions and advice.
- Be your brother’s best friend and biggest cheerleader. When your dad and I are gone, he will be the only person who will share ALL of your childhood memories. You will need each other. Love him fiercely. (One more important thing: Be nice to your brother’s future wife. If you are not friends with her, your brother will become quite distant from you!)
- As hard as it might be, please do not be a people-pleaser. You cannot be everything to everyone. Just focus on being the best YOU possible. Remember, I did not say you have to be the BEST… I said to try to be the best YOU.
- Do not focus on getting a job. You will never be passionate about it. Look for a CAREER, which is a long-term lifestyle that supports your unique gift set and passions.
- Most importantly: LOVE GOD. Seek HIM. He will always meet you exactly where you are. He has great plans in store specifically for you. Take time to pray and talk to Him long enough to hear what He has to say.
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”